81 123
发新话题
打印

[娱乐] The Dandelion Girl

The Dandelion Girl

The girl on the hill made Mark think of Edna St. Vincent Millay. Perhaps it was because of the way she was standing there in the afternoon sun, her dandelion-hued hair dancing in the wind; perhaps it was because of the way her old-fashioned white dress was swirling around her long and slender legs. In any event, he got the definite impression that she had somehow stepped out of the past and into the present; and that was odd, because as things turned out, it wasn't the past she had stepped out of, but the future.
   He paused some distance behind her, breathing hard from the climb. She had not seen him yet, and he wondered how he could apprise her of his presence without alarming her. While he was trying to make up his mind, he took out his pipe and filled and lighted it, cupping his hands over the bowl and puffing till the tobacco came to glowing life. When he looked at her again, she had turned around and was regarding him curiously.
   He walked toward her slowly, keenly aware of the nearness of the sky, enjoying the feel of the wind against his face. He should go hiking more often, he told himself. He had been tramping through woods when he came to the hill, and now the woods lay behind and far below him, burning gently with the first pale fires of fall, and beyond the woods lay the little lake with its complement of cabin and fishing pier. When his wife had been unexpectedly summoned for jury duty, he had been forced to spend alone the two weeks he had saved out of his summer vacation and he had been leading a lonely existence, fishing off the pier by day and reading the cool evenings away before the big fireplace in the raftered living room; and after two days the routine had caught up to him, and he had taken off into the woods without purpose or direction and finally he had come to the hill and had climbed it and seen the girl.
   Her eyes were blue, he saw when he came up to her—as blue as the sky that framed her slender silhouette. Her face was oval and young and soft and sweet. It evoked a déjà vu so poignant that he had to resist an impulse to reach out and touch her wind-kissed cheek; and even though his hand did not leave his side, he felt his fingertips tingle.
   Why, I'm forty-four, he thought wonderingly, and she's hardly more than twenty. What in heaven's name has come over me? "Are you enjoying the view?" he asked aloud.
   "Oh, yes," she said and turned and swept her arm in an enthusiastic semicircle. "Isn't it simply marvelous!"
   He followed her gaze. "Yes," he said, "it is." Below them the woods began again, then spread out over the lowlands in warm September colors, embracing a small hamlet several miles away, finally bowing out before the first outposts of the suburban frontier. In the far distance, haze softened the serrated silhouette of Cove City, lending it the aspect of a sprawling medieval castle, making it less of a reality than a dream. "Are you from the city too?" he asked.
   "In a way I am," she said. She smiled at him. "I'm from the Cove City of two hundred and forty years from now."
   The smile told him that she didn't really expect him to believe her, but it implied that it would be nice if he would pretend. He smiled back. "That would be A.D. twenty-two hundred and one, wouldn't it?" he said. "I imagine the place has grown enormously by then."
   "Oh, it has," she said. "It's part of a megalopolis now and extends all the way to there." She pointed to the fringe of the forest at their feet. "Two Thousand and Fortieth Street runs straight through that grove of sugar maples," she went on, "and do you see that stand of locusts over there?"
   "Yes," he said, "I see them."
   "That's where the new plaza is. Its supermarket is so big that it takes half a day to go through it, and you can buy almost anything in it from aspirins to aerocars. And next to the supermarket, where that grove of beeches stands, is a big dress shop just bursting with the latest creations of the leading couturiers. I bought this dress I'm wearing there this very morning. Isn't it simply beautiful?"
   If it was, it was because she made it so. However, he looked at it politely. It had been cut from a material he was unfamiliar with, a material seemingly compounded of cotton candy, sea foam, and snow. There was no limit any more to the syntheses that could be created by the miracle-fiber manufacturers—nor, apparently, to the tall tales that could be created by young girls. "I suppose you traveled here by time machine," he said.
   "Yes. My father invented one."
   He looked at her closely. He had never seen such a guileless countenance. "And do you come here often?"
   "Oh, yes. This is my favorite space-time coordinate. I stand here for hours sometimes and look and look and look. Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you."
   "But how can there be a yesterday," Mark asked, "if you always return to the same point in time?"
   "Oh, I see what you mean," she said. "The reason is because the machine is affected by the passage of time the same as anything else, and you have to set it back every twenty-four hours if you want to maintain exactly the same co-ordinate. I never do because I much prefer a different day each time I come back."

Doesn't your father ever come with you?"
   Overhead, a V of geese was drifting lazily by, and she watched it for some time before she spoke. "My father is an invalid now," she said finally. "He'd like very much to come if he only could. But I tell him all about what I see," she added hurriedly, "and it's almost the same as if he really came. Wouldn't you say it was?"
   There was an eagerness about the way she was looking at him that touched his heart. "I'm sure it is," he said—then, "It must be wonderful to own a time machine."
   She nodded solemnly. "They're a boon to people who like to stand on pleasant leas. In the twenty-third century there aren't very many pleasant leas left."
   He smiled. "There aren't very many of them left in the twentieth. I guess you could say that this one is sort of a collector's item. I'll have to visit it more often."
   "Do you live near here?" she asked.
   "I'm staying in a cabin about three miles back. I'm supposed to be on vacation, but it's not much of one. My wife was called to jury duty and couldn't come with me, and since I couldn't postpone it, I've ended up being a sort of reluctant Thoreau. My name is Mark Randolph."
   "I'm Julie," she said. "Julie Danvers."
   The name suited her. The same way the white dress suited her—the way the blue sky suited her, and the hill and the September wind. Probably she lived in the little hamlet in the woods, but it did not really matter. If she wanted to pretend she was from the future, it was all right with him. All that really mattered was the way he had felt when he had first seen her, and the tenderness that came over him every time he gazed upon her gentle face. "What kind of work do you do, Julie?" he asked. "Or are you still in school?"
   "I'm studying to be a secretary," she said. She took a half step and made a pretty pirouette and clasped her hands before her. "I shall just love to be a secretary," she went on. "It must be simply marvelous working in a big important office and taking down what important people say. Would you like me to be your secretary, Mr. Randolph?"
   "I'd like it very much," he said. "My wife was my secretary once—before the war. That's how we happened to meet." Now, why had he said that? he wondered.
   "Was she a good secretary?"
   "The very best. I was sorry to lose her; but then when I lost her in one sense, I gained her in another, so I guess you could hardly call that losing her."
   "No, I guess you couldn't. Well, I must be getting back now, Mr. Randolph. Dad will be wanting to hear about all the things I saw, and I've got to fix his supper."
   "Will you be here tomorrow?"
   "Probably. I've been coming here every day. Good-bye now, Mr. Randolph."
   "Good-bye, Julie," he said.
   He watched her run lightly down the hill and disappear into the grove of sugar maples where, two hundred and forty years hence, Two Thousand and Fortieth Street would be. He smiled. What a charming child, he thought. It must be thrilling to have such an irrepressible sense of wonder, such an enthusiasm for life. He could appreciate the two qualities all the more fully because he had been denied them. At twenty he had been a solemn young man working his way through law school; at twenty-four he had had his own practice, and small though it had been, it had occupied him completely—well, not quite completely. When he had married Anne, there had been a brief interim during which making a living had lost some of its immediacy. And then, when the war had come along, there had been another interim—a much longer one this time—when making a living had seemed a remote and sometimes even a contemptible pursuit. After his return to civilian life, though, the immediacy had returned with a vengeance, the more so because he now had a son as well as a wife to support, and he had been occupied ever since, except for the four vacation weeks he had recently been allowing himself each year, two of which he spent with Anne and Jeff at a resort of their choosing and two of which he spent with Anne, after Jeff returned to college, in their cabin by the lake. This year, though, he was spending the second two alone. Well, perhaps not quite alone.
   His pipe had gone out some time ago, and he had not even noticed. He lighted it again, drawing deeply to thwart the wind, then he descended the hill and started back through the woods toward the cabin. The autumnal equinox had come and the days were appreciably shorter. This one was very nearly done, and the dampness of evening had already begun to pervade the hazy air.
   He walked slowly, and the sun had set by the time he reached the lake. It was a small lake, but a deep one, and the trees came down to its edge. The cabin stood some distance back from the shore in a stand of pines, and a winding path connected it with the pier. Behind it a gravel drive led to a dirt road that gave access to the highway. His station wagon stood by the back door, ready to whisk him back to civilization at a moment's notice.
   He prepared and ate a simple supper in the kitchen, then went into the living room to read. The generator in the shed hummed on and off, but otherwise the evening was unsullied by the usual sounds the ears of modern man are heir to. Selecting an anthology of American poetry from the well-stocked bookcase by the fireplace, he sat down and thumbed through it to Afternoon on a Hill. He read the treasured poem three times, and each time he read it he saw her standing there in the sun, her hair dancing in the wind, her dress swirling like gentle snow around her long and lovely legs; and a lump came into his throat, and he could not swallow.
   He returned the book to the shelf and went out and stood on the rustic porch and filled and lighted his pipe. He forced himself to think of Anne, and presently her face came into focus—the firm but gentle chin, the warm and compassionate eyes with that odd hint of fear in them that he had never been able to analyze, the still-soft cheeks, the gentle smile—and each attribute was made more compelling by the memory of her vibrant light brown hair and her tall, lithe gracefulness. As was always the case when he thought of her, he found himself marveling at her agelessness, marveling how she could have continued down through the years as lovely as she had been that long-ago morning when he had looked up, startled, and seen her standing timidly before his desk. It was inconceivable that a mere twenty years later he could be looking forward eagerly to a tryst with an overimaginative girl who was young enough to be his daughter. Well, he wasn't—not really. He had been momentarily swayed—that was all. For a moment his emotional equilibrium had deserted him, and he had staggered. Now his feet were back under him where they belonged, and the world had returned to its sane and sensible orbit.
   He tapped out his pipe and went back inside. In his bedroom he undressed and slipped between the sheets and turned out the light. Sleep should have come readily, but it did not; and when it finally did come, it came in fragments interspersed with tantalizing dreams.
   "Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit," she had said, "and yesterday a deer, and today, you."

On the second afternoon she was wearing a blue dress, and there was a little blue ribbon to match tied in her dandelion-colored hair. After breasting the hill, he stood for some time, not moving, waiting till the tightness of his throat went away; then he walked over and stood beside her in the wind. But the soft curve of her throat and chin brought the tightness back, and when she turned and said, "Hello, I didn't think you'd come," it was a long while before he was able to answer.
   "But I did," he finally said, "and so did you."
   "Yes," she said. "I'm glad."
   A nearby outcropping of granite formed a bench of sorts, and they sat down on it and looked out over the land. He filled his pipe and lighted it and blew smoke into the wind. "My father smokes a pipe too," she said, "and when he lights it, he cups his hands the same way you do, even when there isn't any wind. You and he are alike in lots of ways."
   "Tell me about your father," he said. "Tell me about yourself too."
   And she did, saying that she was twenty-one, that her father was a retired government physicist, that they lived in a small apartment on Two Thousand and Fortieth Street, and that she had been keeping house for him ever since her mother had died four years ago. Afterward he told her about himself and Anne and Jeff—about how he intended to take Jeff into partnership with him someday, about Anne's phobia about cameras and how she had refused to have her picture taken on their wedding day and had gone on refusing ever since, about the grand time the three of them had had on the camping trip they'd gone on last summer.

When he had finished, she said, "What a wonderful family life you have. Nineteen-sixty-one must be a marvelous year in which to live!"
   "With a time machine at your disposal, you can move here any time you like."
   "It's not quite that easy. Even aside from the fact that I wouldn't dream of deserting my father, there's the time police to take into consideration. You see, time travel is limited to the members of government-sponsored historical expeditions and is out of bounds to the general public."
   "You seem to have managed all right."
   "That's because my father invented his own machine, and the time police don't know about it."
   "But you're still breaking the law."
   She nodded. "But only in their eyes, only in the light of their concept of time. My father has his own concept."
   It was so pleasant hearing her talk that it did not matter really what she talked about, and he wanted her to ramble on, no matter how farfetched her subject. "Tell me about it," he said.
   "First I'll tell you about the official concept. Those who endorse it say that no one from the future should participate physically in anything that occurred in the past, because his very presence would constitute a paradox, and future events would have to be altered in order for the paradox to be assimilated. Consequently the Department of Time Travel makes sure that only authorized personnel have access to its time machines, and maintains a police force to apprehend the would-be generation-jumpers who yearn for a simpler way of life and who keep disguising themselves as historians so they can return permanently to a different era.
   "But according to my father's concept, the book of time has already been written. From a macrocosmic viewpoint, my father says, everything that is going to happen has already happened. Therefore, if a person from the future participates in a past event, he becomes a part of that event—for the simple reason that he was a part of it in the first place—and a paradox cannot possibly arise."
   Mark took a deep drag on his pipe. He needed it. "Your father sounds like quite a remarkable person," he said.
   "Oh, he is!" Enthusiasm deepened the pinkness of her cheeks, brightened the blueness of her eyes. "You wouldn't believe all the books he's read, Mr. Randolph. Why, our apartment is bursting with them! Hegel and Kant and Hume; Einstein and Newton and Weizs?cker. I've—I've even read some of them myself."
   "I gathered as much. As a matter of fact, so have I."
   She gazed raptly up into his face. "How wonderful, Mr. Randolph," she said. "I'll bet we've got just scads of mutual interests!"
   The conversation that ensued proved conclusively that they did have—though the transcendental esthetic, Berkeleianism and relativity were rather incongruous subjects for a man and a girl to be discussing on a September hilltop, he reflected presently, even when the man was forty-four and the girl was twenty-one. But happily there were compensations—their animated discussion of the transcendental esthetic did more than elicit a priori and a posteriori conclusions, it also elicited microcosmic stars in her eyes; their breakdown of Berkeley did more than point up the inherent weaknesses in the good bishop's theory, it also pointed up the pinkness of her cheeks; and their review of relativity did more than demonstrate that E invariably equals mc2; it also demonstrated that far from being an impediment, knowledge is an asset to feminine charm.
   The mood of the moment lingered far longer than it had any right to, and it was still with him when he went to bed. This time he didn't even try to think of Anne; he knew it would do no good. Instead he lay there in the darkness and played host to whatever random thoughts came along—and all of them concerned a September hilltop and a girl with dandelion-colored hair.
   Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you.
   Next morning he drove over to the hamlet and checked at the post office to see if he had any mail. There was none. He was not surprised. Jeff disliked writing letters as much as he did, and Anne, at the moment, was probably incommunicado. As for his practice, he had forbidden his secretary to bother him with any but the most urgent of matters.
   He debated on whether to ask the wizened postmaster if there was a family named Danvers living in the area. He decided not to. To have done so would have been to undermine the elaborate make-believe structure which Julie had built, and even though he did not believe in the structure's validity, he could not find it in his heart to send it toppling.
   That afternoon she was wearing a yellow dress the same shade as her hair, and again his throat tightened when he saw her, and again he could not speak. But when the first moment passed and words came, it was all right, and their thoughts flowed together like two effervescent brooks and coursed gaily through the arroyo of the afternoon. This time when they parted, it was she who asked, "Will you be here tomorrow?"—though only because she stole the question from his lips—and the words sang in his ears all the way back through the woods to the cabin and lulled him to sleep after an evening spent with his pipe on the porch.
   Next afternoon when he climbed the hill it was empty. At first his disappointment numbed him, and then he thought, She's late, that's all. She'll probably show up any minute. And he sat down on the granite bench to wait. But she did not come. The minutes passed—the hours. Shadows crept out of the woods and climbed partway up the hill. The air grew colder. He gave up, finally, and headed miserably back toward the cabin.
   The next afternoon she did not show up either. Nor the next. He could neither eat nor sleep. Fishing palled on him. He could no longer read. And all the while, he hated himself—hated himself for behaving like a lovesick schoolboy, for reacting just like any other fool in his forties to a pretty face and a pair of pretty legs. Up until a few days ago he had never even so much as looked at another woman, and here in the space of less than a week he had not only looked at one but had fallen in love with her.
   Hope was dead in him when he climbed the hill on the fourth day—and then suddenly alive again when he saw her standing in the sun. She was wearing a black dress this time, and he should have guessed the reason for her absence; but he didn't—not till he came up to her and saw the tears start from her eyes and the telltale trembling of her lip. "Julie, what's the matter?"
   She clung to him, her shoulders shaking, and pressed her face against his coat. "My father died," she said, and somehow he knew that these were her first tears, that she had sat tearless through the wake and funeral and had not broken down till now.
   He put his arms around her gently. He had never kissed her, and he did not kiss her now, not really. His lips brushed her forehead and briefly touched her hair—that was all. "I'm sorry, Julie," he said. "I know how much he meant to you."
   "He knew he was dying all along," she said. "He must have known it ever since the strontium 90 experiment he conducted at the laboratory. But he never told anyone—he never even told me … I don't want to live. Without him there's nothing left to live for—nothing, nothing, nothing!"
   He held her tightly. "You'll find something, Julie. Someone. You're young yet. You're still a child, really."
   Her head jerked back, and she raised suddenly tearless eyes to his. "I'm not a child! Don't you dare call me a child!"
   Startled, he released her and stepped back. He had never seen her angry before. "I didn't mean—" he began.
   Her anger was as evanescent as it had been abrupt. "I know you didn't mean to hurt my feelings, Mr. Randolph. But I'm not a child, honest I'm not. Promise me you'll never call me one again."
   "All right," he said. "I promise."
   "And now I must go," she said. "I have a thousand things to do."
   "Will—will you be here tomorrow?"
   She looked at him for a long time. A mist, like the aftermath of a summer shower, made her blue eyes glisten. "Time machines run down," she said. "They have parts that need to be replaced—and I don't know how to replace them. Ours—mine may be good for one more trip, but I'm not sure."
   "But you'll try to come, won't you?"
   She nodded. "Yes, I'll try. And Mr. Randolph?"
   "Yes, Julie?"

"In case I don't make it—and for the record—I love you."
   She was gone then; running lightly down the hill, and a moment later she disappeared into the grove of sugar maples. His hands were trembling when he lighted his pipe, and the match burned his fingers. Afterward he could not remember returning to the cabin or fixing supper or going to bed, and yet he must have done all of those things, because he awoke in his own room, and when he went into the kitchen, there were supper dishes standing on the drainboard.
   He washed the dishes and made coffee. He spent the morning fishing off the pier, keeping his mind blank. He would face reality later. Right now it was enough for him to know that she loved him, that in a few short hours he would see her again. Surely even a run-down time machine should have no trouble transporting her from the hamlet to the hill.
   He arrived there early and sat down on the granite bench and waited for her to come out of the woods and climb the slope. He could feel the hammering of his heart and he knew that his hands were trembling. Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you.
   He waited and he waited, but she did not come. She did not come the next day either. When the shadows began to lengthen and the air grow chill, he descended the hill and entered the grove of sugar maples. Presently he found a path, and he followed it into the forest proper and through the forest to the hamlet. He stopped at the small post office and checked to see if he had any mail. After the wizened postmaster told him there was none, he lingered for a moment. "Is—is there a family by the name of Danvers living anywhere around here?" he blurted.
   The postmaster shook his head. "Never heard of them."
   "Has there been a funeral in town recently?"
   "Not for nigh onto a year."
   After that, although he visited the hill every afternoon till his vacation ran out, he knew in his heart that she would not return, that she was lost to him as utterly as if she had never been. Evenings he haunted the hamlet, hoping desperately that the postmaster had been mistaken; but he saw no sign of Julie, and the description he gave of her to the passersby evoked only negative responses.
   Early in October he returned to the city. He did his best to act toward Anne as though nothing had changed between them; but she seemed to know the minute she saw him that something had changed. And although she asked no questions, she grew quieter and quieter as the weeks went by, and the fear in her eyes that had puzzled him before became more and more pronounced.
   He began driving into the country Sunday afternoons and visiting the hilltop. The woods were golden now, and the sky was even bluer than it had been a month ago. For hours he sat on the granite bench, staring at the spot where she had disappeared. Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you.
   Then, on a rainy night in mid-November, he found the suitcase. It was Anne's, and he found it quite by accident. She had gone into town to play bingo, and he had the house to himself; and after spending two hours watching four jaded TV programs, he remembered the jigsaw puzzles he had stored away the previous winter.
   Desperate for something—anything at all—to take his mind off Julie, he went up to the attic to get them. The suitcase fell from a shelf while he was rummaging through the various boxes piled beside it, and it sprang open when it struck the floor.
   He bent over to pick it up. It was the same suitcase she had brought with her to the little apartment they had rented after their marriage, and he remembered how she had always kept it locked and remembered her telling him laughingly that there were some things a wife had to keep a secret even from her husband. The lock had rusted over the years, and the fall had broken it.
   He started to close the lid, paused when he saw the protruding hem of a white dress. The material was vaguely familiar. He had seen material similar to it not very long ago—material that brought to mind cotton candy and sea foam and snow.
   He raised the lid and picked up the dress with trembling fingers. He held it by the shoulders and let it unfold itself, and it hung there in the room like gently falling snow. He looked at it for a long time, his throat tight. Then, tenderly, he folded it again and replaced it in the suitcase and closed the lid. He returned the suitcase to its niche under the eaves. Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you.
   Rain thrummed on the roof. The tightness of his throat was so acute now that he thought for a moment that he was going to cry. Slowly he descended the attic stairs. He went down the spiral stairway into the living room. The clock on the mantel said ten-fourteen. In just a few minutes the bingo bus would let her off at the corner, and she would come walking down the street and up the walk to the front door. Anne would … Julie would. Julianne?
   Was that her full name? Probably. People invariably retained part of their original names when adopting aliases; and having completely altered her last name, she had probably thought it safe to take liberties with her first. She must have done other things, too, in addition to changing her name, to elude the time police. No wonder she had never wanted her picture taken! And how terrified she must have been on that long-ago day when she had stepped timidly into his office to apply for a job! All alone in a strange generation, not knowing for sure whether her father's concept of time was valid, not knowing for sure whether the man who would love her in his forties would feel the same way toward her in his twenties. She had come back all right, just as she had said she would.
   Twenty years, he thought wonderingly, and all the while she must have known that one day I'd climb a September hill and see her standing, young and lovely, in the sun, and fall in love with her all over again. She had to know because the moment was as much a part of her past as it was a part of my future. But why didn't she tell me? Why doesn't she tell me now?
   Suddenly he understood.
   He found it hard to breathe, and he went into the hall and donned his raincoat and stepped out into the rain. He walked down the walk in the rain, and the rain pelted his face and ran in drops down his cheeks, and some of the drops were raindrops, and some of them were tears. How could anyone as agelessly beautiful as Anne—as Julie—was, be afraid of growing old? Didn't she realize that in his eyes she couldn't grow old—that to him she hadn't aged a day since the moment he had looked up from his desk and seen her standing there in the tiny office and simultaneously fallen in love with her? Couldn't she understand that that was why the girl on the hill had seemed a stranger to him?
   He had reached the street and was walking down it toward the corner. He was almost there when the bingo bus pulled up and stopped, and the girl in the white trench coat got out. The tightness of his throat grew knife-sharp, and he could not breathe at all. The dandelion-hued hair was darker now, and the girlish charm was gone; but the gentle loveliness still resided in her gentle face, and the long and slender legs had a grace and symmetry in the pale glow of the November street light that they had never known in the golden radiance of the September sun.
   She came forward to meet him, and he saw the familiar fear in her eyes—a fear poignant now beyond enduring because he understood its cause. She blurred before his eyes, and he walked toward her blindly. When he came up to her, his eyes cleared, and he reached out across the years and touched her rain-wet cheek. She knew it was all right then, and the fear went away forever, and they walked home hand in hand in the rain.

The End

FOX大神,这不是水贴,别禁言我

看不懂我可以发翻译版本

看不懂

看不懂,你是要考4级还是什么什么的?
葱娘

这名女孩的希尔马克认为埃德娜圣文森特米莱。 Perhaps it was because of the way she was standing there in the afternoon sun, her dandelion-hued hair dancing in the wind; perhaps it was because of the way her old-fashioned white dress was swirling around her long and slender legs.也许是因为这样,她站在那里,下午太阳,她的蒲公英, hued头发在风中舞蹈,也许是因为她的方式,老式的白色长裙是她的周围长和细长的腿。 In any event, he got the definite impression that she had somehow stepped out of the past and into the present; and that was odd, because as things turned out, it wasn't the past she had stepped out of, but the future.在任何情况下,他得到了明确的印象,她不知走出过去和现在,这是奇怪的,因为事情证明,这已不是过去的她走出,但未来。
He paused some distance behind her, breathing hard from the climb.他停顿了一下一段距离她身后,呼吸困难的攀登。 She had not seen him yet, and he wondered how he could apprise her of his presence without alarming her.她还没有见过他,但他不知道他如何能告知她没有他的存在令人震惊的她。 While he was trying to make up his mind, he took out his pipe and filled and lighted it, cupping his hands over the bowl and puffing till the tobacco came to glowing life.虽然他试图弥补他心里,他掏出管和填补点燃它,拔罐他的手的碗和膨化到烟草来到光辉一生。 When he looked at her again, she had turned around and was regarding him curiously.当他看着她了,她转过身,是关于他的奇怪的。
He walked toward her slowly, keenly aware of the nearness of the sky, enjoying the feel of the wind against his face.他慢慢走向她,深刻认识到贴近天空,享受的感觉风对他的脸上。 He should go hiking more often, he told himself.他应该去徒步旅行更加频繁,他告诉自己。 He had been tramping through woods when he came to the hill, and now the woods lay behind and far below him, burning gently with the first pale fires of fall, and beyond the woods lay the little lake with its complement of cabin and fishing pier.他已踏遍通过伍兹当他来到了山,现在的老虎伍兹背后,远远低于他,燃烧轻轻第一苍白火灾的下降,并超越了老虎伍兹的小湖奠定其补充的客舱和渔船码头。 When his wife had been unexpectedly summoned for jury duty, he had been forced to spend alone the two weeks he had saved out of his summer vacation and he had been leading a lonely existence, fishing off the pier by day and reading the cool evenings away before the big fireplace in the raftered living room; and after two days the routine had caught up to him, and he had taken off into the woods without purpose or direction and finally he had come to the hill and had climbed it and seen the girl.当他的妻子已被意外传唤陪审团职责,他已被迫花费仅两个星期,他曾挽救了他的暑假,他已经领先一个孤独的存在,渔业码头的关闭和阅读当天夜晚凉爽了大壁炉前的raftered客厅;和经过两天的例行已经赶上他,他已经采取了树林无目的或方向,最后,他来到山和已攀升,并看到了女孩。
Her eyes were blue, he saw when he came up to her—as blue as the sky that framed her slender silhouette.她的眼睛是蓝色的,他认为当他走到她作为蓝色天空框架她纤细的轮廓。 Her face was oval and young and soft and sweet.她的脸是椭圆形的,年轻人和软又甜。 It evoked a déjà vu so poignant that he had to resist an impulse to reach out and touch her wind-kissed cheek; and even though his hand did not leave his side, he felt his fingertips tingle.这引起了似曾相识如此尖锐的,他曾抵制了冲动触到她的风吻面颊; ,即使他的手没有离开他身边,他觉得他的指尖刺痛。
Why, I'm forty-four, he thought wonderingly, and she's hardly more than twenty.为什么,我44 ,他认为wonderingly ,她几乎没有超过20 。 What in heaven's name has come over me?什么在天上的名字已经超过我吗? "Are you enjoying the view?" “你享受的看法如何? ” he asked aloud.他问出声。
"Oh, yes," she said and turned and swept her arm in an enthusiastic semicircle. “噢,是的, ”她说,并转过身来,她的手臂在席卷热烈半圆形。 "Isn't it simply marvelous!" “这不是简单地了不起! ”
He followed her gaze.他跟着她的目光。 "Yes," he said, "it is." “是的, ”他说, “是的。 ” Below them the woods began again, then spread out over the lowlands in warm September colors, embracing a small hamlet several miles away, finally bowing out before the first outposts of the suburban frontier.下面的老虎伍兹再次开始,然后分散在低地在温暖的颜色9月,包括一个小村数公里外,终于低头前第一前哨郊区前沿。 In the far distance, haze softened the serrated silhouette of Cove City, lending it the aspect of a sprawling medieval castle, making it less of a reality than a dream.在远处,烟雾软化锯齿状轮廓的湾城,贷款这方面的不断延伸的中世纪城堡,使其较少的现实比一个梦想。 "Are you from the city too?" “你从城市吗? ” he asked.他问道。
"In a way I am," she said. “在某种程度上我, ”她说。 She smiled at him.她微笑着他。 "I'm from the Cove City of two hundred and forty years from now." “我从湾市二百四十年从现在开始。 ”
The smile told him that she didn't really expect him to believe her, but it implied that it would be nice if he would pretend.的微笑告诉他,她真的不期待他相信她,但它意味着这将是很好,如果他假装。 He smiled back.他微笑着回。 "That would be AD twenty-two hundred and one, wouldn't it?" “这将是公元2002年数百和1个,不是吗? ” he said.他说。 "I imagine the place has grown enormously by then." “我想象的地方已大大增加了当时。 ”
"Oh, it has," she said. “哦,它, ”她说。 "It's part of a megalopolis now and extends all the way to there." “这是大都市的一部分,现在和延伸的方式存在。 ” She pointed to the fringe of the forest at their feet.她指出,在森林边缘的他们英尺。 "Two Thousand and Fortieth Street runs straight through that grove of sugar maples," she went on, "and do you see that stand of locusts over there?" “两千年和第四十街直通运行的格罗夫的糖枫树, ”她接着说, “你看到的立场蝗虫那边? ”
"Yes," he said, "I see them." “是的, ”他说, “我看到他们。 ”
"That's where the new plaza is. Its supermarket is so big that it takes half a day to go through it, and you can buy almost anything in it from aspirins to aerocars. And next to the supermarket, where that grove of beeches stands, is a big dress shop just bursting with the latest creations of the leading couturiers. I bought this dress I'm wearing there this very morning. Isn't it simply beautiful?" “这就是新的广场。超市这么大,需要半天的时间去通过它,你可以买到几乎所有的东西在它从管阿斯匹林,以aerocars 。旁的超市,在该园的山毛榉看台,是一个很大的服装店铺刚刚爆破的最新创作的主导couturiers 。我买了这件衣服我穿有今天上午。是不是简单地美丽? “
If it was, it was because she made it so.如果是,那是因为她这样做。 However, he looked at it politely.然而,他看着它礼貌。 It had been cut from a material he was unfamiliar with, a material seemingly compounded of cotton candy, sea foam, and snow.它已被切断的材料,他不熟悉的材料看似复杂的棉花糖,海水泡沫,和雪。 There was no limit any more to the syntheses that could be created by the miracle-fiber manufacturers—nor, apparently, to the tall tales that could be created by young girls.是没有限制的任何更多的合成,可创造的奇迹纤维制造商,也很显然,在高大的故事,可创造的年轻女孩。 "I suppose you traveled here by time machine," he said. “我想你来到这里的时间机器, ”他说。
"Yes. My father invented one." “是的。我的父亲发明之一。 ”

他看着她密切。 He had never seen such a guileless countenance.他从未见过这样一个朴实的面容。 "And do you come here often?" “你经常来这儿吗? ”
"Oh, yes. This is my favorite space-time coordinate. I stand here for hours sometimes and look and look and look. Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." “噢,是的。这是我最喜欢的时空坐标。我站在这里有时几个小时,并期待和希望,并期待。前天我看到了一只兔子,而昨天的鹿,而今天,你。 ”
"But how can there be a yesterday," Mark asked, "if you always return to the same point in time?" “但如何才能有昨天, ”马克问: “如果你总是返回相同的时间点? ”
"Oh, I see what you mean," she said. “噢,我明白你的意思, ”她说。 "The reason is because the machine is affected by the passage of time the same as anything else, and you have to set it back every twenty-four hours if you want to maintain exactly the same co-ordinate. I never do because I much prefer a different day each time I come back." “这是因为机器是受时间的推移,一样都没有什么进展,你必须将其设置的每一个人都应该二四小时如果你想保持完全一样的统筹。我从来没有这样做,因为我很多喜欢不同的一天,每次我回来。 “
"Doesn't your father ever come with you?" “难道你的父亲都来吗? ”
Overhead, a V of geese was drifting lazily by, and she watched it for some time before she spoke.架空,一个第五鹅是漂流懒洋洋的,她看着它在一段时间之前,她说话。 "My father is an invalid now," she said finally. “我的父亲是一个无效的现在, ”她说最后。 "He'd like very much to come if he only could. But I tell him all about what I see," she added hurriedly, "and it's almost the same as if he really came. Wouldn't you say it was?" “他想非常来,如果他不仅可以。但我告诉他所有关于我明白了,她补充说: ”急急忙忙“ ,而且几乎一样,如果他真的来了。那不是你说这是? ”
There was an eagerness about the way she was looking at him that touched his heart.有一个热心的方式,她看着他,感动他的心。 "I'm sure it is," he said—then, "It must be wonderful to own a time machine." “我确信这是, ”他说,那么, “它必须是美好的,以自己的时间机器。 ”
She nodded solemnly.她点点头庄严。 "They're a boon to people who like to stand on pleasant leas. In the twenty-third century there aren't very many pleasant leas left." “他们是有利于人民谁要站在愉快最差。在第二十三世纪有很多不愉快的租赁离开。 ”
He smiled.他微微一笑。 "There aren't very many of them left in the twentieth. I guess you could say that this one is sort of a collector's item. I'll have to visit it more often." “没有很多人留在二十。我想你可以说这一次是一种收藏的项目。我要更经常地访问它。 ”
"Do you live near here?" “你住在这儿? ” she asked.她问道。
"I'm staying in a cabin about three miles back. I'm supposed to be on vacation, but it's not much of one. My wife was called to jury duty and couldn't come with me, and since I couldn't postpone it, I've ended up being a sort of reluctant Thoreau. My name is Mark Randolph." “我住在木屋约3英里回来。我应该在度假,但不是很多的。我的妻子被称为陪审团责任,不能跟我来,因为我不能推迟,我已经结束了被一种不愿意梭罗。我的名字叫马克兰多夫。 “
"I'm Julie," she said. “我朱莉, ”她说。 "Julie Danvers." “朱莉Danvers 。 ”
The name suited her.适合她的名字。 The same way the white dress suited her—the way the blue sky suited her, and the hill and the September wind.同样的白色长裙适合她的道路蓝天适合她,和山和九月风。 Probably she lived in the little hamlet in the woods, but it did not really matter.或许,她住在村中的小树林,但它并没有真正的问题。 If she wanted to pretend she was from the future, it was all right with him.如果她想她是假装的未来,这是与他的所有权利。 All that really mattered was the way he had felt when he had first seen her, and the tenderness that came over him every time he gazed upon her gentle face.所有这一切真正重要的是这一过程中,他认为当他第一次看到她,温柔的来到他每次他凝视她的温柔的脸。 "What kind of work do you do, Julie?" “什么样的工作,你好吗,朱莉? ” he asked.他问道。 "Or are you still in school?" “还是你仍然在上学? ”
"I'm studying to be a secretary," she said. “我学习是一个秘书, ”她说。 She took a half step and made a pretty pirouette and clasped her hands before her.她花了整整半步骤,并提出了非常旋转和紧握她的手在她面前。 "I shall just love to be a secretary," she went on. “我只是喜欢成为秘书长, ”她接着说。 "It must be simply marvelous working in a big important office and taking down what important people say. Would you like me to be your secretary, Mr. Randolph?" “这肯定是了不起的工作只是在一个大重要职务,并考虑了什么重要的人说。您要我是你的秘书,兰多夫先生? ”
"I'd like it very much," he said. “我想它非常, ”他说。 "My wife was my secretary once—before the war. That's how we happened to meet." “我妻子是我的秘书曾在战争爆发之前。这是如何发生的,以满足我们。 ” Now, why had he said that?现在,为什么他说, ? he wondered.他不知道。
"Was she a good secretary?" “她是一个很好的秘书? ”
"The very best. I was sorry to lose her; but then when I lost her in one sense, I gained her in another, so I guess you could hardly call that losing her." “顺利。我很遗憾地失去她,但是当我失去了她在一个意义上说,我得到她的另一个,所以我想你很难呼吁失去她。 ”
"No, I guess you couldn't. Well, I must be getting back now, Mr. Randolph. Dad will be wanting to hear about all the things I saw, and I've got to fix his supper." “不,我想你不能。嗯,我必须回去现在,兰多夫先生。爸爸将要听到的所有事情我看见了,和我必须修正自己的晚餐。 ”
"Will you be here tomorrow?" “你在这里明天? ”
"Probably. I've been coming here every day. Good-bye now, Mr. Randolph." “也许。我已经来到这里,每天都有。再见现在,兰多夫先生。 ”
"Good-bye, Julie," he said. “再见,朱莉, ”他说。

他望着她运行掉以轻心下坡和消失在树林的糖枫树下,二百四十年因此,两千年和第四十街将。 He smiled.他微微一笑。 What a charming child, he thought.多么有魅力的孩子,他想。 It must be thrilling to have such an irrepressible sense of wonder, such an enthusiasm for life.它必须是惊险,以有这样的压抑不住的感觉不知道,这种对生命的热诚。 He could appreciate the two qualities all the more fully because he had been denied them.他能理解这两个素质,更充分,因为他被剥夺了他们。 At twenty he had been a solemn young man working his way through law school; at twenty-four he had had his own practice, and small though it had been, it had occupied him completely—well, not quite completely.在二十他是一个庄严的青年工作的方式通过法学院;在2004年,他有自己的做法,和小但已,它已完全占领了井,并不完全。 When he had married Anne, there had been a brief interim during which making a living had lost some of its immediacy.当他安妮结婚,有一个简短的过渡期间使生活失去了它的一些紧迫。 And then, when the war had come along, there had been another interim—a much longer one this time—when making a living had seemed a remote and sometimes even a contemptible pursuit.然后,当战争已经到来,出现了另一个临时更长一个这个时候,生活时,似乎是一个偏远的,有时甚至是可鄙的追求。 After his return to civilian life, though, the immediacy had returned with a vengeance, the more so because he now had a son as well as a wife to support, and he had been occupied ever since, except for the four vacation weeks he had recently been allowing himself each year, two of which he spent with Anne and Jeff at a resort of their choosing and two of which he spent with Anne, after Jeff returned to college, in their cabin by the lake.在他恢复平民生活,不过,直接返回了报复,更何况,因为他现在有一个儿子,以及妻子的支持,他一直以来被占领土,除了四个星期的假期,他最近被允许自己每年,其中有两个他一起度过安妮和杰夫在度假胜地的选择和其中两个他一起度过安妮之后,杰夫返回学院,在其客舱的湖。 This year, though, he was spending the second two alone.今年,虽然,他的第二次消费两个独立。 Well, perhaps not quite alone.好吧,也许不是很独立。
His pipe had gone out some time ago, and he had not even noticed.他的笛子出去了前一段时间,他甚至都没有注意到。 He lighted it again, drawing deeply to thwart the wind, then he descended the hill and started back through the woods toward the cabin.他再次点燃,利用深感挫败风,那么,他走下山坡,并开始回到通过伍兹对客舱。 The autumnal equinox had come and the days were appreciably shorter.在秋分已与天相应缩短。 This one was very nearly done, and the dampness of evening had already begun to pervade the hazy air.这一次非常接近,和潮湿的晚上已经开始贯穿烟霞空气。
He walked slowly, and the sun had set by the time he reached the lake.他走得很慢,太阳已成立的时候,他走到湖边。 It was a small lake, but a deep one, and the trees came down to its edge.这是一个小湖,而是一个深刻的人,树下来的优势。 The cabin stood some distance back from the shore in a stand of pines, and a winding path connected it with the pier.站在机舱一定距离回从岸上的一个独立的松树,以及连接这曲折的码头。 Behind it a gravel drive led to a dirt road that gave access to the highway.背后砾石驱动导致了土路,使进入高速公路。 His station wagon stood by the back door, ready to whisk him back to civilization at a moment's notice.他站在车后门,准备拂他回到文明在片刻的通知。

百度机翻自重~谷歌机翻自重

他准备和吃了简单的晚饭在厨房里,然后走进客厅阅读。 The generator in the shed hummed on and off, but otherwise the evening was unsullied by the usual sounds the ears of modern man are heir to.发电机的下跌哼唱和关闭,但除此之外,晚上通常不受染的声音耳朵现代人的继承人。 Selecting an anthology of American poetry from the well-stocked bookcase by the fireplace, he sat down and thumbed through it to Afternoon on a Hill.选择美国诗歌选集从丰富的书柜的壁炉,他坐下来,翻阅到下午就在山上。 He read the treasured poem three times, and each time he read it he saw her standing there in the sun, her hair dancing in the wind, her dress swirling like gentle snow around her long and lovely legs; and a lump came into his throat, and he could not swallow.他宣读了珍惜诗三次,每一次他看,他看见她站在那里的阳光,她的头发在风中舞蹈,她的衣服一样轻柔旋转雪身边长期和可爱的腿和一次走进他的喉咙,他不能接受。
He returned the book to the shelf and went out and stood on the rustic porch and filled and lighted his pipe.他回到这本书的货架,出来站在门廊上的质朴和填补,点燃他的烟斗。 He forced himself to think of Anne, and presently her face came into focus—the firm but gentle chin, the warm and compassionate eyes with that odd hint of fear in them that he had never been able to analyze, the still-soft cheeks, the gentle smile—and each attribute was made more compelling by the memory of her vibrant light brown hair and her tall, lithe gracefulness.他强迫自己认为安妮,目前她的脸开始集中,但该公司下巴温柔,热情和富有同情心的眼睛与奇数暗示他们的恐惧,他从未能够分析,仍然柔软的脸颊,柔和的微笑,和每一个属性是更引人注目的是她的记忆中充满活力的浅棕色头发,她的身材高大,轻盈优美。 As was always the case when he thought of her, he found himself marveling at her agelessness, marveling how she could have continued down through the years as lovely as she had been that long-ago morning when he had looked up, startled, and seen her standing timidly before his desk.如总是如此时,他想起了她,他发现自己在惊叹她的agelessness ,惊叹她如何能继续下跌通过几年的可爱,她已经是很久以前早上当他抬起头来,吃惊,并认为她怯生生地站在他的办公桌前。 It was inconceivable that a mere twenty years later he could be looking forward eagerly to a tryst with an overimaginative girl who was young enough to be his daughter.这是不可想象的仅仅20年后他会急切地期待着一个幽会的overimaginative是年轻的女孩谁得足以当他的女儿。 Well, he wasn't—not really.那么,他wasn't ,而不是真的。 He had been momentarily swayed—that was all.他已暂时动摇,这是所有。 For a moment his emotional equilibrium had deserted him, and he had staggered.一会儿他的情绪平衡已经抛弃了他,和他错开。 Now his feet were back under him where they belonged, and the world had returned to its sane and sensible orbit.现在,他的双脚回到了他在那里属于,世界已返回其理智和合理的轨道。
He tapped out his pipe and went back inside.他利用自己管和内回去。 In his bedroom he undressed and slipped between the sheets and turned out the light.在他的卧室,他脱去衣服与下跌之间的床单和原来的光。 Sleep should have come readily, but it did not; and when it finally did come, it came in fragments interspersed with tantalizing dreams.睡眠应该很容易,但它没有;当终于来了,它的片段穿插与诱人的梦想。

注意关键语句

“前天我看到了一只兔子,他说: ”她说, “昨天的鹿,而今天,你。 ”

关于第二个下午,她穿着一条蓝色礼服,并有一个小蓝丝带,以符合并列在她蒲公英色的头发。 After breasting the hill, he stood for some time, not moving, waiting till the tightness of his throat went away; then he walked over and stood beside her in the wind.经过breasting山上,他站在了一段时间,没有移动,等待,直到紧张的走了他的喉咙,然后,他走过去,站在她身旁的风。 But the soft curve of her throat and chin brought the tightness back, and when she turned and said, "Hello, I didn't think you'd come," it was a long while before he was able to answer.但是,她的柔软曲线的喉咙和下巴使气密回来,当她转过身来,说: “您好,我没想到你来了, ”这是一项长期而之前,他无法回答。
"But I did," he finally said, "and so did you." “但是我没有, ”他最后说, “所以你。 ”
"Yes," she said. “是的, ”她说。 "I'm glad." “我很高兴。 ”
A nearby outcropping of granite formed a bench of sorts, and they sat down on it and looked out over the land.附近的一个露的花岗岩组成了一个替补的种类,他们坐了下来,并期待它的土地了。 He filled his pipe and lighted it and blew smoke into the wind.他填补他的管道和照明,并引爆烟雾进入风。 "My father smokes a pipe too," she said, "and when he lights it, he cups his hands the same way you do, even when there isn't any wind. You and he are alike in lots of ways." “我的父亲抽烟管道太, ”她说, “当他灯,他手中的杯子他的使用方式相同,甚至在没有任何风。你和他都是一样的在很多方面。 ”
"Tell me about your father," he said. “告诉我你的父亲, ”他说。 "Tell me about yourself too." “告诉我关于你自己了。 ”
And she did, saying that she was twenty-one, that her father was a retired government physicist, that they lived in a small apartment on Two Thousand and Fortieth Street, and that she had been keeping house for him ever since her mother had died four years ago.她并说,她是2001年,她的父亲是一位退休[政|府]物理学家,他们住在一个小公寓的两千年和第四十街,她已经做家务,他自从她的母亲已经死亡4年前。 Afterward he told her about himself and Anne and Jeff—about how he intended to take Jeff into partnership with him someday, about Anne's phobia about cameras and how she had refused to have her picture taken on their wedding day and had gone on refusing ever since, about the grand time the three of them had had on the camping trip they'd gone on last summer.后来他告诉她自己和安妮和杰夫,他是如何打算采取杰夫伙伴关系与他有一天,大约安妮恐怖症约相机和她拒绝了她的照片对他们结婚的日子,并已拒绝自约大时,其中3人已经对露营他们会持续了去年夏天。
When he had finished, she said, "What a wonderful family life you have. Nineteen-sixty-one must be a marvelous year in which to live!"当他完成了,她说, “美好家庭生活的你。 19 61必须是一个了不起的一年的生活! ”
"With a time machine at your disposal, you can move here any time you like." “随着时间机器为您效劳,您可以将任何时候在这里你喜欢。 ”

“这不是很容易。即使除了一个事实,即我不会梦想逃兵我的父亲,还有警察的时间考虑。你看,时间旅行是有限的成员由[政|府]赞助的历史考察和出界给广大公众。 “
"You seem to have managed all right." “你似乎所有管理权。 ”
"That's because my father invented his own machine, and the time police don't know about it." “那是因为我的父亲他自己发明的机器,时间警察不知道。 ”
"But you're still breaking the law." “但是您仍然违反法律。 ”
She nodded.她点点头。 "But only in their eyes, only in the light of their concept of time. My father has his own concept." “但是,只有在他们眼里,只有根据其概念的时间。我的父亲有他自己的概念。 ”
It was so pleasant hearing her talk that it did not matter really what she talked about, and he wanted her to ramble on, no matter how farfetched her subject.就这样愉快的交谈听她的,它没有真正的问题是什么,她谈到,他希望她能漫游的,无论多么牵强她的主题。 "Tell me about it," he said. “告诉我, ”他说。
"First I'll tell you about the official concept. Those who endorse it say that no one from the future should participate physically in anything that occurred in the past, because his very presence would constitute a paradox, and future events would have to be altered in order for the paradox to be assimilated. Consequently the Department of Time Travel makes sure that only authorized personnel have access to its time machines, and maintains a police force to apprehend the would-be generation-jumpers who yearn for a simpler way of life and who keep disguising themselves as historians so they can return permanently to a different era.他说: “首先我要告诉你有关官方的概念。这些谁赞同说,没有一个人的未来应该参加任何身体在过去发生的,因为他的存在将构成一种矛盾,和未来的事件都必须为了改变这一悖论是同化。因此该部的时间之旅可以确保只有经过授权的人员有机会获得它的时间机器,并能保持一个警察部队逮捕将成为一代运动员谁渴望有一个更简单的方法生活和谁保持掩饰自己是历史学家这样他们就可以永久返回到一个不同的时代。
"But according to my father's concept, the book of time has already been written. From a macrocosmic viewpoint, my father says, everything that is going to happen has already happened. Therefore, if a person from the future participates in a past event, he becomes a part of that event—for the simple reason that he was a part of it in the first place—and a paradox cannot possibly arise." “但根据我父亲的概念,这本书的时间已经写入。从宏观角度看,我的父亲说,一切会发生已经发生。因此,如果一个人从未来参加了过去的事件,他将成为其中的一部分事件,理由很简单,他的一部分,它首先和一个矛盾不可能出现。 “
Mark took a deep drag on his pipe.马克深吸拖累他管。 He needed it.他需要它。 "Your father sounds like quite a remarkable person," he said. “你父亲听起来很了不起的人, ”他说。
"Oh, he is!" “哦,他来了! ” Enthusiasm deepened the pinkness of her cheeks, brightened the blueness of her eyes.热情加深了pinkness她的脸颊,明亮的蓝,她的眼睛。 "You wouldn't believe all the books he's read, Mr. Randolph. Why, our apartment is bursting with them! Hegel and Kant and Hume; Einstein and Newton and Weizs?cker. I've—I've even read some of them myself." “你不会相信他的所有书籍的阅读,兰多夫先生。为什么,我们的公寓是爆破与他们!黑格尔和康德,休谟;爱因斯坦和牛顿和Weizs ? cker 。 I've - I've甚至阅读一些他们自己。 “
"I gathered as much. As a matter of fact, so have I." “我收集到了这一点。事实上,这样的一”
She gazed raptly up into his face.她凝视raptly了他的脸。 "How wonderful, Mr. Randolph," she said. “多么美妙先生,兰多夫, ”她说。 "I'll bet we've got just scads of mutual interests!" “我敢打赌我们还有刚刚scads相互的利益! ”

随后的谈话说,最后证明,他们确实有,但超越的美学, Berkeleianism和相对论相当不协调的主题一名男子及一名少女将讨论山顶上的9月,他反映,目前即使在男子44和女孩是01年。 But happily there were compensations—their animated discussion of the transcendental esthetic did more than elicit a priori and a posteriori conclusions, it also elicited microcosmic stars in her eyes; their breakdown of Berkeley did more than point up the inherent weaknesses in the good bishop's theory, it also pointed up the pinkness of her cheeks; and their review of relativity did more than demonstrate that E invariably equals mc2; it also demonstrated that far from being an impediment, knowledge is an asset to feminine charm.但快乐有补偿,其动画讨论超越审美没有超过征求先验和后验结论,但它也引起微观星级在她的眼里,他们的细目伯克利没有超过点的固有弱点的良好主教的理论,但也指出了她的脸颊pinkness ;及其审查相对论没有超过证明é总是等于mc2 ,它也表明,远不是一个障碍,知识是一种资产,以女性的魅力。
The mood of the moment lingered far longer than it had any right to, and it was still with him when he went to bed.的情绪徘徊的时刻远多于它的任何权利,这仍然是当他与他上床。 This time he didn't even try to think of Anne; he knew it would do no good.这一次,他甚至没有尝试认为安妮;他知道这将没有任何好处。 Instead he lay there in the darkness and played host to whatever random thoughts came along—and all of them concerned a September hilltop and a girl with dandelion-colored hair.相反,他躺在那里,并在黑暗中发挥东道国的东西来到随想沿线和所有这些涉及到九月山顶和一个女孩与蒲公英色的头发。
Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you.前天我看到了一只兔子,而昨天的鹿,而今天,你。
Next morning he drove over to the hamlet and checked at the post office to see if he had any mail.第二天早晨,他开车到村,并检查在邮局看到,如果他有任何邮件。 There was none.有没有。 He was not surprised.他并不感到惊奇。 Jeff disliked writing letters as much as he did, and Anne, at the moment, was probably incommunicado.杰夫讨厌写信多像他那样,和安妮,目前可能是单独监禁。 As for his practice, he had forbidden his secretary to bother him with any but the most urgent of matters.至于他的实践中,他曾禁止他的秘书向打扰他,但与任何最紧迫的问题。
He debated on whether to ask the wizened postmaster if there was a family named Danvers living in the area.他辩论是否要求干瘪邮政是否有一个名为Danvers家庭生活在该地区。 He decided not to.他决定不。 To have done so would have been to undermine the elaborate make-believe structure which Julie had built, and even though he did not believe in the structure's validity, he could not find it in his heart to send it toppling.这样做会破坏精心化妆认为结构朱莉已经建立,尽管他不认为在结构的有效性,他无法找到他的心将它推翻。
That afternoon she was wearing a yellow dress the same shade as her hair, and again his throat tightened when he saw her, and again he could not speak.这天下午,她被发现时身穿黄色衣服颜色相同的,她的头发,并再次加强了他的喉咙时,他看见她,他不能再说话。 But when the first moment passed and words came, it was all right, and their thoughts flowed together like two effervescent brooks and coursed gaily through the arroyo of the afternoon.但是,当第一时间通过和话,它的所有权利,和他们的想法流到一起就像两个泡腾布鲁克斯和套餐快活通过阿罗约的下午。 This time when they parted, it was she who asked, "Will you be here tomorrow?"—though only because she stole the question from his lips—and the words sang in his ears all the way back through the woods to the cabin and lulled him to sleep after an evening spent with his pipe on the porch.这时候,他们分手,但她谁问, “你在这里明天? ” ,虽然只是因为她偷走的问题,他的嘴唇和唱的话,他的耳朵所有返回的途中穿过树林的客舱和哄骗他睡一个晚上后,他花管的走廊。
Next afternoon when he climbed the hill it was empty.第二天下午,当他爬上山是空的。 At first his disappointment numbed him, and then he thought, She's late, that's all.起初,他感到失望麻木,然后他想,她的晚了,就是这样。 She'll probably show up any minute.她很可能会出现任何分钟。 And he sat down on the granite bench to wait.和他坐在替补席上的花岗岩等。 But she did not come.但是她没有来。 The minutes passed—the hours.该分钟过去了,该小时。 Shadows crept out of the woods and climbed partway up the hill.阴影逐渐走出谷底,并爬上partway上山。 The air grew colder.寒冷的空气中成长。 He gave up, finally, and headed miserably back toward the cabin.他放弃了,最后,领导对惨败回到客舱。
The next afternoon she did not show up either.第二天下午,她没有出现的。 Nor the next.还是下一步。 He could neither eat nor sleep.他既不能吃,也不睡觉。 Fishing palled on him.钓鱼palled他。 He could no longer read.他再也无法阅读。 And all the while, he hated himself—hated himself for behaving like a lovesick schoolboy, for reacting just like any other fool in his forties to a pretty face and a pair of pretty legs.和所有的同时,他恨自己,恨自己的举止就像一个郁郁小学生,为反应就像任何其他傻瓜四十多岁,以一个相当脸和一双漂亮的腿。 Up until a few days ago he had never even so much as looked at another woman, and here in the space of less than a week he had not only looked at one but had fallen in love with her.直到几天前,他从来没有这么多的看着另一名女子,并在这里的空间不到一个星期,他不仅看的选择,而是爱上了她。

希望在他死时,他爬上山顶的第四天,然后突然活着的时候,他看见她站在太阳。 She was wearing a black dress this time, and he should have guessed the reason for her absence; but he didn't—not till he came up to her and saw the tears start from her eyes and the telltale trembling of her lip.她穿黑色衣服这个时候,他应该已经猜到的原因,她不在场的情况,但他didn't ,直到他走到她看到了眼泪从她的眼睛和告密者的她的嘴唇颤抖。 "Julie, what's the matter?" “尤莉,什么事? ”
She clung to him, her shoulders shaking, and pressed her face against his coat.她抱着他,她的肩膀摇晃,她的脸和对他的外套。 "My father died," she said, and somehow he knew that these were her first tears, that she had sat tearless through the wake and funeral and had not broken down till now. “我的父亲死了, ”她说,不知他知道,这是她第一次眼泪,她坐在后泪通过和葬礼,并没有细分到现在。
He put his arms around her gently.他把她轻轻地搂着。 He had never kissed her, and he did not kiss her now, not really.他从来没有吻她,他没有吻她的现在,而不是真的。 His lips brushed her forehead and briefly touched her hair—that was all.他的嘴唇刷她的额头和短暂触及她的头发,这是所有。 "I'm sorry, Julie," he said. “对不起,朱莉, ”他说。 "I know how much he meant to you." “我知道他的意思给你。 ”
"He knew he was dying all along," she said. “他知道他是死于一直以来, ”她说。 "He must have known it ever since the strontium 90 experiment he conducted at the laboratory. But he never told anyone—he never even told me … I don't want to live. Without him there's nothing left to live for—nothing, nothing, nothing!" “他一定知道它自锶90进行实验,他的实验室。但他从未告诉任何人,他甚至从来没有告诉我...我不想生活。没有他,没有什么留给生活,没什么,没什么,没有什么! “
He held her tightly.他紧紧地抱着她。 "You'll find something, Julie. Someone. You're young yet. You're still a child, really." “你一定能找到,朱莉。有人。你还年轻。您还是一个孩子,真的。 ”
Her head jerked back, and she raised suddenly tearless eyes to his.挺举回到她的头,她突然提出了泪,他的眼睛。 "I'm not a child! Don't you dare call me a child!" “我不是一个孩子!不要你敢叫我孩子! ”
Startled, he released her and stepped back.吓了一跳,他获释回到她和加强。 He had never seen her angry before.他从来没有见过她生气面前。 "I didn't mean—" he began. “我不是那个意思, ”他开始。
Her anger was as evanescent as it had been abrupt.她愤怒的消逝,因为它已被突然。 "I know you didn't mean to hurt my feelings, Mr. Randolph. But I'm not a child, honest I'm not. Promise me you'll never call me one again." “我知道你并不意味着要伤害我的感情,兰多夫先生。但是我不是一个孩子,老实说我不是。答应我你将永远不会再打电话给我一个。 ”
"All right," he said. “好吧, ”他说。 "I promise." “我答应。 ”
"And now I must go," she said.他说: “现在我必须去, ”她说。 "I have a thousand things to do." “我有一个1000的事情要做。 ”
"Will—will you be here tomorrow?" “请问,您将在这里明天? ”
She looked at him for a long time.她望着他很长一段时间。 A mist, like the aftermath of a summer shower, made her blue eyes glisten.阿雾,像一个夏天之后,淋浴,使她的蓝眼睛闪闪。 "Time machines run down," she said.他说: “时间机器是跑下来, ”她说。 "They have parts that need to be replaced—and I don't know how to replace them. Ours—mine may be good for one more trip, but I'm not sure." “他们已经部件需要更换,和我不知道如何来取代它们。我国地雷可能是一个良好的旅行,但我不知道。 ”
"But you'll try to come, won't you?" “但是你会尽力来,是不是? ”
She nodded.她点点头。 "Yes, I'll try. And Mr. Randolph?" “是的,我会尽力。兰多夫先生? ”
"Yes, Julie?" “是的,朱莉? ”

如果我不使它和为创纪录的我爱你。 ”
She was gone then; running lightly down the hill, and a moment later she disappeared into the grove of sugar maples.她已经走了那么;运行掉以轻心下坡,并时刻后,她消失在树林的糖枫树。 His hands were trembling when he lighted his pipe, and the match burned his fingers.他的双手颤抖了,他点燃了烟斗,比赛烧毁了他的手指。 Afterward he could not remember returning to the cabin or fixing supper or going to bed, and yet he must have done all of those things, because he awoke in his own room, and when he went into the kitchen, there were supper dishes standing on the drainboard.随后,他无法记得返回舱或固定晚饭或睡觉,但他必须做所有这些事情,因为他醒来在自己的房间,当他走进厨房,有晚饭菜站在该排水。
He washed the dishes and made coffee.他洗了菜和咖啡。 He spent the morning fishing off the pier, keeping his mind blank.他花了早上的捕鱼码头,使他心里的空白。 He would face reality later.他将面对现实后。 Right now it was enough for him to know that she loved him, that in a few short hours he would see her again.现在它已经足够,他知道她爱他,在短短几个小时,他再见到她。 Surely even a run-down time machine should have no trouble transporting her from the hamlet to the hill.当然,即使是运行时间机器不应有任何麻烦运送她从哈姆雷特的希尔。
He arrived there early and sat down on the granite bench and waited for her to come out of the woods and climb the slope.他到达那里坐下早期的花岗岩板凳,等待她来摆脱困境,并爬上山坡。 He could feel the hammering of his heart and he knew that his hands were trembling.他能感觉到啄他的心和他知道,他的双手颤抖着。 Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you.前天我看到了一只兔子,而昨天的鹿,而今天,你。
He waited and he waited, but she did not come.他等待着,他在等待,但她没有来。 She did not come the next day either.她没有来第二天的。 When the shadows began to lengthen and the air grow chill, he descended the hill and entered the grove of sugar maples.当阴影开始加长,并增加寒冷的空气,他下了山,进入格罗夫的糖枫树。 Presently he found a path, and he followed it into the forest proper and through the forest to the hamlet.目前,他发现的道路,他随后进入森林,并通过适当的森林的哈姆雷特。 He stopped at the small post office and checked to see if he had any mail.他停在小型邮政局和检查,看看是否有任何邮件。 After the wizened postmaster told him there was none, he lingered for a moment.在干枯邮政告诉他有没有,他徘徊了一会儿。 "Is—is there a family by the name of Danvers living anywhere around here?" “是─是有家庭的名称Danvers生活各地在这里? ” he blurted.他脱口而出。
The postmaster shook his head.邮政摇了摇头。 "Never heard of them." “从来没有听说过他们。 ”
"Has there been a funeral in town recently?" “有没有一个葬礼在城里最近? ”
"Not for nigh onto a year." “不几乎到一年。 ”

在此之后,尽管他访问了山上每天下午到他的度假失控,他知道他的心,她将不会返回,她失去了他作为完全仿佛她从来没有。 Evenings he haunted the hamlet, hoping desperately that the postmaster had been mistaken; but he saw no sign of Julie, and the description he gave of her to the passersby evoked only negative responses.晚上,他困扰着哈姆雷特,希望拼命的邮政已经错了,但他认为没有迹象朱莉,并说明他给她的路人诱发只有消极的反应。
Early in October he returned to the city. 10月初,他回到了城市。 He did his best to act toward Anne as though nothing had changed between them; but she seemed to know the minute she saw him that something had changed.他没有采取行动,他最好的安妮好像什么也没有改变他们之间;但她似乎知道分钟,她看到他的东西已经发生了变化。 And although she asked no questions, she grew quieter and quieter as the weeks went by, and the fear in her eyes that had puzzled him before became more and more pronounced.虽然她问,没有问题,她长大的安静,安静的几个星期过去了,并担心在她的眼里有不解他面前变得越来越明显。
He began driving into the country Sunday afternoons and visiting the hilltop.他开始驾驶进入该国周日下午与来访的山顶。 The woods were golden now, and the sky was even bluer than it had been a month ago.老虎伍兹是金色的,现在的天空更蓝,甚至比它已在一个月前。 For hours he sat on the granite bench, staring at the spot where she had disappeared.几个小时,他就坐在替补席上花岗岩,盯着的地方,她已经消失。 Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you.前天我看到了一只兔子,而昨天的鹿,而今天,你。
Then, on a rainy night in mid-November, he found the suitcase.然后,在一个雨夜在11月中旬,他发现行李箱。 It was Anne's, and he found it quite by accident.这是安妮的,他发现很偶然。 She had gone into town to play bingo, and he had the house to himself; and after spending two hours watching four jaded TV programs, he remembered the jigsaw puzzles he had stored away the previous winter.她进入了发挥果镇,他对自己的房子和支出两小时后,看着四个厌倦电视节目,他想起了拼图模型储存了他以前的冬天。
Desperate for something—anything at all—to take his mind off Julie, he went up to the attic to get them.绝望的东西,任何东西都采取了主意了朱莉,他走到阁楼,让他们。 The suitcase fell from a shelf while he was rummaging through the various boxes piled beside it, and it sprang open when it struck the floor.行李箱从架子虽然他谈论通过各种箱子堆旁,它跳开时,击中了发言。
He bent over to pick it up.他弯下身来捡起来。 It was the same suitcase she had brought with her to the little apartment they had rented after their marriage, and he remembered how she had always kept it locked and remembered her telling him laughingly that there were some things a wife had to keep a secret even from her husband.这是相同的行李箱,她带来了她的小公寓,他们租用他们的婚姻后,他想起她一直保持它锁住,并告诉他记得她笑着说有一些东西妻子不得不即使保守秘密从她的丈夫。 The lock had rusted over the years, and the fall had broken it.锁已经生锈多年来,秋季打破它。
He started to close the lid, paused when he saw the protruding hem of a white dress.他开始密切盖子,暂停时,他看到了突出褶边的白色连衣裙。 The material was vaguely familiar.该材料是依稀熟悉的。 He had seen material similar to it not very long ago—material that brought to mind cotton candy and sea foam and snow.他看到类似的材料不是很早就材料让人联想到棉花糖和海水泡沫和雪。

他提出了盖子,并拿起衣服与颤抖的手指。 He held it by the shoulders and let it unfold itself, and it hung there in the room like gently falling snow.他认为它的肩膀上,让它展现本身,它挂在房间里有像雪轻轻地下降。 He looked at it for a long time, his throat tight.他看着它很长一段时间,他的喉咙紧张。 Then, tenderly, he folded it again and replaced it in the suitcase and closed the lid.然后,温柔地,他再次折叠,而代之以在手提箱和关闭盖子。 He returned the suitcase to its niche under the eaves.他的手提箱归还其利基屋檐下。 Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you.前天我看到了一只兔子,而昨天的鹿,而今天,你。
Rain thrummed on the roof.雨thrummed的屋顶上。 The tightness of his throat was so acute now that he thought for a moment that he was going to cry.紧张的他的喉咙是如此严重,他认为现在的时刻,那就是表现得哭了起来。 Slowly he descended the attic stairs.慢慢地,他的后裔阁楼楼梯。 He went down the spiral stairway into the living room.他走下螺旋楼梯到客厅。 The clock on the mantel said ten-fourteen.时钟上地幔说1014年。 In just a few minutes the bingo bus would let her off at the corner, and she would come walking down the street and up the walk to the front door.在短短数分钟的果巴士将让她送行的角落,她将走在街上,并步行到了前门。 Anne would … Julie would.安妮将...朱莉会。 Julianne?朱丽安?
Was that her full name?是,她的姓名? Probably.可能。 People invariably retained part of their original names when adopting aliases; and having completely altered her last name, she had probably thought it safe to take liberties with her first.人总是保留一部分原来的名字时,通过别名;并完全改变了自己的姓氏,她可能认为安全调戏她的第一次。 She must have done other things, too, in addition to changing her name, to elude the time police.她必须有做过其他的事情,太多,除了改变她的名字,以躲避警察的时间。 No wonder she had never wanted her picture taken!难怪她从来没有要她拍摄的照片! And how terrified she must have been on that long-ago day when she had stepped timidly into his office to apply for a job!以及如何吓坏了,她必须一直在说,很久以前一天她已加强胆怯到他的办公室申请工作! All alone in a strange generation, not knowing for sure whether her father's concept of time was valid, not knowing for sure whether the man who would love her in his forties would feel the same way toward her in his twenties.独自在一个陌生的一代,不知道是否为她父亲的概念,时间是有效的,不知道确定该名男子是否会爱她谁四十多岁会感到同样的方式对她在他20岁。 She had come back all right, just as she had said she would.她回来的所有权利,正如她说,她希望。
Twenty years, he thought wonderingly, and all the while she must have known that one day I'd climb a September hill and see her standing, young and lovely, in the sun, and fall in love with her all over again. 20年来,他认为wonderingly ,以及所有她一定知道,有一天我会爬上9月希尔和看到她站立,年轻和可爱,在阳光下,并爱上了她的所有了。 She had to know because the moment was as much a part of her past as it was a part of my future.她知道,因为现在是多的一部分,她的过去,因为这是一个组成部分,我国的未来。 But why didn't she tell me?但是她为什么不告诉我? Why doesn't she tell me now?她为什么不告诉我呢?
Suddenly he understood.突然,他的理解。

他觉得难以呼吸,他走进大厅和他穿上雨衣和走出到大雨。 He walked down the walk in the rain, and the rain pelted his face and ran in drops down his cheeks, and some of the drops were raindrops, and some of them were tears.他走下走在下雨,雨水和投掷了他的脸,并在他的脸颊滴下来,和一些被雨水下降,其中一些人流下了眼泪。 How could anyone as agelessly beautiful as Anne—as Julie—was, be afraid of growing old?谁能为agelessly美丽安妮作为朱莉,是害怕变老? Didn't she realize that in his eyes she couldn't grow old—that to him she hadn't aged a day since the moment he had looked up from his desk and seen her standing there in the tiny office and simultaneously fallen in love with her?没有她认识到,在他眼里,她不能变老,他说,她没有一天因为年龄的时刻,他希望从他的办公桌,看到她站在那里的小办公室,并同时爱上她? Couldn't she understand that that was why the girl on the hill had seemed a stranger to him?她无法理解,这就是为什么女孩在山上似乎一个陌生人给他?
He had reached the street and was walking down it toward the corner.他已经达到了街和走它的角落。 He was almost there when the bingo bus pulled up and stopped, and the girl in the white trench coat got out.他几乎有宾果巴士时退出,并停下来,和女童的白色风衣失控。 The tightness of his throat grew knife-sharp, and he could not breathe at all.紧张的他的喉咙增长刀尖锐,他不能呼吸了。 The dandelion-hued hair was darker now, and the girlish charm was gone; but the gentle loveliness still resided in her gentle face, and the long and slender legs had a grace and symmetry in the pale glow of the November street light that they had never known in the golden radiance of the September sun.的蒲公英, hued深色头发,现在的女孩子的魅力消失了;但温柔可爱仍然居住在她的温柔的脸,以及长期和细长的腿有一个宽限期和对称性在帕莱辉光的路灯11月,他们已经从来不知道在金色光芒的9月的太阳。
She came forward to meet him, and he saw the familiar fear in her eyes—a fear poignant now beyond enduring because he understood its cause.她走上前来,以满足他,他看到了熟悉的恐惧在她的眼里,现在的恐惧尖锐持久,因为他无法理解其原因。 She blurred before his eyes, and he walked toward her blindly.她在他的眼睛模糊,他走向她的盲目。 When he came up to her, his eyes cleared, and he reached out across the years and touched her rain-wet cheek.当他走到她的,他的眼睛清除,他伸出手来,并在谈到她的雨湿脸颊。 She knew it was all right then, and the fear went away forever, and they walked home hand in hand in the rain.她知道这是当时所有的权利,并担心永远走,他们走回家手拉手在雨中。

The End完

引用:
原帖由 青叶环 于 2009-2-23 14:20 发表
“前天我看到了一只兔子,他说: ”她说, “昨天的鹿,而今天,你。 ”
这个故事告诉我们 女人的欲望是很可怕的 前天只需要兔子 昨天换做鹿也勉强可以满足 但是今天....没错 需要你出力了?

这真的太糟糕了
本帖最近评分记录
「信仰は儚き人間の為に」

乃湿了

好好的看全文嘛 复制的很辛苦
本帖最近评分记录
  • 蒼月雲星 积分Lv1 +10 看的人也很辛苦 XSK 2009-2-23 14:39

排版好亂...
本帖最近评分记录
  • 青叶环 积分Lv1 +2 ······这也是没办法的 2009-2-23 14:28
蓬莱山輝夜
2-1 SOS 很有愛的SOS